In her memorandum, Montecillo said all tourism officers, tour operators, tourists both local and foreign are hereby “advised to skip from your itinerary the Kawasan Adventure Tour until the Province of Cebu and Badian municipality announce the re-opening of the destination after due restoration.”
Previously Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has ordered the demolition of illegal structures in said site in order to restore the aesthetic view of the Kawasan Falls, a major tourist destination in Cebu.
Said ban will continue until the natural scenery at the falls is restored.
To strengthen the protection of Kawasan Falls, Garcia asked the municipal council during her recent ocular inspection of the falls to pass a municipal ordinance declaring the latter as a municipal park. She also told the council to pass a resolution requesting Congressman Pablo Garcia to initiate a bill declaring the falls as a protected area.
By MARS W. MOSQUEDA JR.April 22, 2012, 5:31pm
Manila Bulletin Publishing Corp.